Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2004

WEEKEND UPDATE

FRIDAY- I couldn't sleep again thanks to those fucking mice, so I shifted my planned trip to Marvel from the afternoon to the morning, with the goal of being back in Brooklyn by 11:30 AM. I went to the House of Re-Hashed Ideas and met with Jared to do a DVD exchange and receive a free copy of the STAR WARS trilogy DVD set. Jared's buddy Rob ordered the set and it arrived with a damaged slipcover, so he emailed the company and requested a new box; instead of merely a new box they sent him a whole new set, which he passed on to Jared, who passed it on to me. SCORE! More on the actual DVD set in a posting or two...

I left Marvel and met Eddie at the movie theater for the 12:15 matinee of TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE, the latest from the guys behind SOUTH PARK. It's a puppet movie that owes a major debt to Gerry Anderson's ouvre (THUNDERBIRDS, STINGRAY, CAPTAIN SCARLET, et cetera) but is more accurately described as a simultaneous satire of those shitty Jerry Bruckheimer movies and testosterone-ridden American jingoism, and I found it to be very funny. Sadly, the exceptional puppetry made me irate at the blown opportunity that was the live-action THUNDERBIRDS feature film, a film that I refuse to see for the same reasons that won't let me see an American Godzilla movie.

Other than that, the rest of the day was spent walking a friend's dog and checking out some of the STAR WARS DVD stuff.

SATURDAY- Spent the day as tour guide to one of my favorite people on the planet, namely my friend Julie, and her cool six-year-old son Jordan. It was really great to be able to spend time with her and get to know her kid, but the thing that really struck me was how it seemed that the passage of time hadn't really changed her that much. Good to see. And during our visit to Jim Hanley's Universe — my vote for Manhattan's most personable comic shop — I picked up the DVD set of the complete GREG THE BUNNY, my vote for the funniest TV comedy since GET A LIFE. Spent most of the night checking out the GREG discs and continuing to work my way through THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK with the audio commentary.

SUNDAY- It was unseasonably cold this morning,and when I awoke and threw off my comforters I nearly froze my balls off; it was around forty-nine degrees outside and I had left my window open overnight. The day was spent in a state of cold-induced near-torpor and I continued to work my way through GREG THE BUNNY and its highly entertaining audio commentary. By mid-afternoon I gave in to the seasonal shift and passed out cold for a couple of hours, and when I awoke I cleaned my kitchenette. I heard from the mighty Wendy for the first time in about a week and watched the Yankees VS Red Socks playoff game on TV, which is still on as I write this at 12:42 AM, Monday morning. Later today I will send in my story pitches for the DEXTER'S LABORATORY comic book. That's it for now I guess.

God, I need some pussy. Any volunteers? I promise a serious oil and baby powder massage, with a kickass breakfast the next day. Think about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! I got a mention in Bunche's blog! If people are looking for more great sci-fi, I recommend the Stargate SG-1 DVDs that Mr. B. is currently working his way through. Way better than the majority of Star Trek that's out there by a long shot. Not to mention that their season box sets are literally half the price of Trek ones.

But why am I only Jared's buddy, Bunche? Especially since you were the first black man in my bedroom. :)

Oy, I need some tail too.

-Rob